Education in India and abroad has been a matter of concerned discussion for several years now. It is a question that many students and families face regularly. On one hand we have the comfort of living in our own country without having to leave our friends and family behind and on the other hand there is the lure of a foreign degree, global exposure and research opportunities State-of-the-art infrastructure, good exposure and global recognition of their degrees give a flying start to the career of any student. Students from India who are used to a more passive learning style get to experience a more engaging and active method of learning when studying in a foreign country.
Are Foreign universities better than Indian universities?
Choosing to study abroad is one of the best decisions a student can make for his career. Studying abroad has many advantages for the student- It provides various opportunities to the student to experience a different culture and contributing to the holistic development of the student.
Studying abroad paves the way for a student to seek employment opportunities across the world and work in companies which are known for cutting edge work. Students who get a degree from abroad and choose to return to India also have a bounty of prospects. International exposure has always been an important factor for companies while hiring signifying the employer that the student has a “go-getter” attitude.
Companies across the globe are continuously investing in the global market and give preference to students with an international exposure. The salaries also offered to students with an international degree tend to be on the higher side. Students with an international exposure tend to have better communication skills while communicating with students of different diversities which is more advantageous while closing international deals. In recent times individuals who possess cross communication skills have been in high demand. Studying Abroad makes it easier for a student to understand global views and helps develop skills to share opinions on the same.
It has been observed that not more than 3 Indian universities are in the top 200 rankings of world universities. Moreover, unlike Indian colleges where students widely focus on a structured ‘syllabus’, colleges outside India offer students with the option of choosing a combination of desired subjects in accordance to their interests and the credits awarded are based on the weight age of the particular subject in the course they have taken up. Students come across terms like ‘minor’, ‘dual major’ and ‘free-electives’ during their course selection in universities abroad. The structured education system outside India allows students to get a dual degree or a degree with double specializations.
Why do Indian students prefer to study abroad?
In recent times, we have observed that more Indians tend to settle outside India despite the extreme conditions of living away from home and a higher cost of living. While some tend to study-and-settle outside India others want to receive quality education to increase their job prospects in India. There are various reasons as to why students in India prefer to study abroad, a few have been listed below-
- Extreme competition in the education sector is one of the major reasons. Students with as high as 90% marks are not getting admissions in colleges of their choice in India.
- In a lot of prestigious institutions in India, a major portion of the seats are blocked due to government policies.This makes it very challenging for students with merit to get admission into these institutions
- Going abroad is an advantage for students who want to learn advanced courses with various combinations. Indian education is very strict in stringent about the courses offered and the curriculum of the chosen course.
- Going abroad for studying is a preference for Indian students as it increases their probability of getting good job offers.
- Infrastructure is much better in universities abroad. This helps aspiring researchers to get much better facilities while conducting their research
- Scholarships and various working opportunities during the course is encouraged outside India, which reduces the overall cost of education.
What are the important points to consider before applying to foreign universities?
There are multiple considerations-major as well as minor- one should look into before opting to study abroad. Here are a list of factors one should consider before making this decision:
- Visa Rules and Regulations: The rules with respect to visa are different from country to country depending upon various factors. One might opt for a visa which is easily available or which is not expensive.
- Distance- “How long can I stay away from home while studying abroad?”-is the most important question one should consider before choosing to study abroad. Students opting to study abroad have to be prepared for spending long periods of time away from home. For people who understand that they can only survive for a certain amount of time outside India, should consider studying a course which last for a shorter duration. There are various courses which last just one or two years also known as an “associate degrees”.
- Costs-“How should I manage my finances ?”-Often financing your education is one of the most critical factors which will determine your choice of course, college or country. You should understand that apart from the tution fees there are other substantial expenses such as food, accommodation, safety,etc. There are various financial institutes to provide financial assistance to students who require it
- University or Course– One must also consider the rankings of the university they are applying for. Students might want a particular course, which a country is renowned for. E.g. Studying AI in China is a good option since China is leading in the AI industry.
- Job Prospects– This factor usually plays a bigger role than course selection for students who plan to settle abroad after the completion of their course . Companies usually tend to absorb students from a surrounding university to avoid ‘employee relocation’ costs.
- Climate– The overall climate of a place where a university is located should also be considered as an important factor. Students should optimally choose a location with moderate climatic conditions. This in turn, makes the overall experience of a student a delightful one.
- Campus life- “How will I spend my time apart from studying?” A university that pushes you to take part in extracurricular activities is always a better option since it leads to the holistic development of the child.
- Safety-. “How safe is the country/university?” is the prime matter of concern for most of us while choosing to study abroad. We must do a proper research on the safety measures installed by the universities to make international students feel safe.
To conclude, studying in India as well have abroad has its own advantages and disadvantages. One should take each and every factor influencing its decision into consideration before actually making the decision of studying in India or abroad.
We can also take help from a Certified Career Counsellor who uses various tools and techniques to help us make the right decision.
To Experience how a certified career counsellor can help you take the right decision with respect to studying India or abroad call +91-83358-72100 to book a free 30 minute session.
Address: 9th Floor, Signet Tower, DN-2, DN Block, Sector V, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700091
Phone: 083358 72100